• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father Died, is mother responsible for debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daughter4

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

My father passed away WITH a will.

My father had numerous credit cards IN HIS NAME ONLY, with a balance due. Some had credit life insurance, some did not.

My father also purchased a brand new truck IN HIS NAME ONLY approx. 10 days before his death. The first payment hadn't yet been made (it is due Dec 15) and the payoff is $31K.

My mother is the executor, but the will has not yet been probated. The life insurance she will get will not be enough to pay his debts IF she is required to pay those credit card balances that he did not have credit life insurance on.
QUESTION 1: Will she (the estate) be required to pay the credit card balances on those cards he didn't have credit life on?

QUESTION 2: My mother wants to do a voluntary repo and hope the CU doesn't come after her (going on the "can't bleed a turnip theory). Isn't my mother better off trying to sell the truck herself? (We figure she can probably get $24-25K for it and we could make up the rest in cash.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">