• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father died, no will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keithp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Some land (that has a trailer my father put on it) has been in my family for generations, 100-200 years. I knew it as my part of my grandfathers land he had in the area. I learned today that my grandfather had given the land to my father prior to his death, to be passed onto my fathers children (3 of us) when he died.

My father died several years ago, my grandfather after him, with my grandmother still living. My fathers widow had been renting it out, with my families knowledge as far as I know. It has always been clear that it was owned by us kids, even though all did not know it.

Once she listed it for sale is when family contacted me and my siblings letting us know. Where to go from here, the Realtor was notified before I was.

Thanks.

Dandy Don

Do some research on your own to look into this. If you know the death date and city/state where the deaths occurred, you need to visit the county courthouse probate court to see if probate was done for your father, grandfather and grandmother, to see if title was specifically passed the way you say it was. It would seem like probate was not done (perhaps on one or more of the decedents) and therefore names of legal heirs were not put on the land records.

It is possible that probate may need to be done now if it wasn't done before, so that a proper determination can be made as to who is legally able to share in proceeds from the sale. A probate attorney and/or real estate attorney can help you figure everything out.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">