• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father died no will brother taking over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clsbernal

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My father passed away with no will, my brother took over the funeral planning as I live out of state. According to him the insurance only covered the funeral expenses. Now we (my other brothers and sisters) are supposed to sign a Waiver of Notive of Probate of Will.

My question is how do we know that this brother was to get everything, house, insurance, etc. We do not know where to turn without causing hard feelings throughout the family.

Probate procedure

What you are signing just dispenses with the need for the administrator to send you formal notice of the probate of the will by certified mail. Under Ohio intestate succession law, any assets remaining after all estate expenses have been paid must be divided equally between and children of the deceased, or their lineal descendants, if any predeceased Dad. The administrator brother would be entitled to reimbursement of any uncovered funeral expenses, if he paid for the remainder out of his own pocket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">