• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father died in Ohio, no one will tell me anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fblumberg

What is the name of your state? NJ
Got a call from sister (estranged) Dad died last night,(07/19) dont bother with anything we are cremating the body.
Nursing home wont tell me anything, brother inlaw wont put thru calls, Fathers guardian (atty) wont call back, nothings been probated, had to get the coroner to verify that he actually did die and tell me how! Rest of family cant get thru... and want a funeral!
When he was in Florida I got quarterly statements from his Trustee, he was moved to Ohio by my sister and Brotherin law In early 2005 and I have recieved no accounting from anyone since. The close of accounts in Florida, where his estate was valued at $475,000
He had a full coverage nursing home policy, and a life insurance policy of term $250,000.
Shouldnt I recieve any information, in a timely manor, I am the eldest son...
and very confused and upset about all the secrecy...

Dandy Don

Just be patient--eventually you will find out what you need to know.

You don't mention whether he had a last will and testament or not. Check at the county courthouse probate court for whatever city he died in in Ohio to see if they have filed it yet. If they have filed it you can ask for a copy by mail. Normally that is done within the first 30 days after the death. IF all of his assets were put into the trust there may not be a will.

Do you know if you were listed as a beneficiary in the trust or not? At some point you will need to send a certified letter to the trustee asking for a copy of the trust and for an accounting statement.

Do you know who was named as beneficiary on the life insurance?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

fblumberg

Prior to 2004 my sister was the beneficiary, and I was to get the house...
After Mom died in 98 My sis and hubby swept in and sold house taking dad to Ohio with them... after 6 months they shipped him to me at Thanksgiving, (one way ticket) in Florida
In 2004 Dad went to Ohio to rearrange everything and telling me and my partner that everyone was to be taken care of equally, Me My partner, My sis and her Husband
he even called from the lawyers office to verify correct spellings and SS #'s.. Nothing has been filed atthe probate office and the atty wont answer my calls or return them had Atty friend call and fax 3x all to no avail... its been 26 days
The family says I need to go there to "straighten things out"
but I think thats asking for trouble, and that there must be a way to do it from Here, NJ

Dandy Don

Hire a probate attorney in the same city/county where the death occurred to get probate opened up. He can get judge to ask the relevant parties to produce a will if there is one. Right now you don't know if there were enough assets to have an estate or if all assets were put in the trust. They may deliberately hiding the will to keep it from being probated but at least with an attorney you are more likely to get answers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">