• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father died without a will. Do I need to go through probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anteater

Forgot about funeral expenses...

Look up some local probate attorneys - references from friends or relatives, yellow pages, the "find a lawyer" feature here, the local bar association, etc. Have your facts together about the assets and liabilities. Ask for 15 minutes for advice on what to do.

Contrary to what you may hear, not all attorneys are cold-hearted money grubbers.

anteater

So does that mean I am allowed to go through the ATM and make withdrawals? Or will someone come after me for that?
Legally, unless you were a joint owner or a designated beneficiary on the account or appointed by the court to administer the estate, no.

Jenna112

Is your name on any of these accounts? Are you listed as a beneficiary? Have you talked to the bank? Don't use the ATM unless your name is on the accounts.
My name is not on the accounts. I am his beneficiary on life insurance but, as I said, there was no will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">