• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father passed away in 2011...cannot afford probate court, what steps do I take next??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fechjax

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello, my father passed away in October 2011 and I haven't dealt with any of his legal matters yet because I was told that I would have to goto probate court which costs a few thousand dollars and I currently work in retail at under $10 an hour so it's hard enough being able to survive on my own right now.

In the passing of my father in 2011 he left behind a Will in which I inherited our house, two lots, and his portion of a 3rd piece of commercial property which the commercial property is divided between him and also his brothers and sisters, who I do not have contact with and haven't spoken with in 15 years(not a close family). Before his passing we were struggling with keeping up on the property taxes as well due to my mothers passing in 2009. I am trying to keep them up as best as I can, but I am currently about 3 years or so behind on all of the properties since we were struggling before his passing. I am attempting to get them rented out so that I will have enough income to catch up with taxes. The properties are all still in his name too, which I don't know if this will cause problems or not?

Do you know if there is anything I can do to prevent losing the properties(which I believe have liens on at least two of them now) since his passing and also do you have any suggestions on how I can overcome the cost of the probate court? Thank you for taking the time to help.

anteater

Have you at least spoken to a couple probate attorneys? Unless things have changed recently, Florida is the only state I know of that requires that you retain an attorney.

Yes, there are costs to probate - the largest of which is attorney compensation (assuming that you will waive any compensation for serving as the probate estate's personal representative). But those expenses can be paid from the probate estate assets.

You really cannot afford to put this off. You don't have legal authority to deal with those properties.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">