• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fathers Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jtettenb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My stepfather is now reaching old age and his health is deteriorating quickly. My stepfather and I have been very close for many years and it has always been understood that I would be inheriting the sum of his estate, should he pass away. He let me see a will that he had drafted years ago but I do not have a copy of said will. Over the past couple years my stepfather has been increasingly distant and paranoid. I called his primary doctor and found that he stopped going in for checkups and has gone off his medication. (The doctor diagnosed him as a paranoid schizophrenic) He has been in multiple disagreements with local law enforcement, claims he was poisoned, and is overall difficult to communicate with. I recently received a phone call from a woman he is now dating. She informed me that I was to stay out of his life and not to call or get in touch with him again. I'm concerned that this woman may be trying to convince him to write her into the will and take the estate. Furthermore he will not listen to me and begin taking his medication again, is there anyway that I can ensure he sticks to his medication and also secure the estate from the hands of potential gold diggers?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">