• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Hardship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NothingIsSimple

What is the name of your state? California

Hi there, and first let me thank you for reading my post and for any help, advice, suggestions you may offer.

My mom died 2-11-04. She had a will but not a living trust. Her house is paid for and I am now the only heir. Years back when I was going thru a nightmare divorce my mom's atty at that time had her remove my name from chkg, house etc. At that time also, my aunt offered to be executor of the estate. My aunt being my mom's sister, who lives in Oregon.

My mom's house, car, ckg/svgs in probate as house is valued over 100,000. My aunt unexpectedly and suddenly died 3-15-05. The only documents that had to have her signature were my mom's 2003 taxes and my aunt was waiving the administrators fee. Needless to say this was sad and traumatic enough in itself, but in addition, really threw a monkey wrench into the probate proceedings.

A month prior to my aunts death I went to give atty copies of 2003 taxes. She tells me to sign them and when IRS/FTB send me refund checks (wouldn't you know it - the one time my mom gets a refund) to sign off and send to my aunt. The atty also said I would not need to file 2004 taxes ......ahem helllllooo ???? When I got home I chose to call IRS and was told heck no your aunt has to sign 2003 taxes as she is executor (which was my thought) and had you signed we would have rejected them because you are not the executor. Furthermore it matters not that your mom was only alive one month and 11 days into the 2004 year - you still have to file for her. All made sense to me ......anyway I relayed this info the following day to paralegal. During the office visit to atty that I had just mentioned. the paralegal, myself and atty were in attys office and the paralegal stated the 2003 tax info I brought in would finish the acctg of estate (this is still prior to aunts death).

I called the day after my aunt died (called atty march 16 05) to notify her. Shortly after paralegal called and said we would have to petition the court to have me appointed as executor and that getting a court date usually is two months from date you request.

The other day I called and as it turns out they were about to call me to come in and sign a form for the change in executor. I then find out in the two months since notfying them of my aunts death they have not even requested a court date so there was a wasted amount of two months.

I have told the atty and the paralegal(s) (this is the third new one) that I receive less than $900 a month medical disabilty retirement to live on. That I have borrowed to pay the first installments of my moms homeowners/car insurance and car registration and plumbing that had to be repaired and that yesterday insurance agent called to notify me that my mom's house and car insurance had lapsed and because this has happened twice already they will not rewrite the policies.

I've explained my financial situation to the different paralegals and brought it up to the atty on last visit. Apparently I'm miming speech. I also requested the status of atty fees to date, atty fees and and still have no answer. And I do understand the state sets atty fees based on estate value, however I find it hard to believe that I will see a bill that shows one enty and one fee, i.e., Mar 2004 - whatever date......Probate case handling and representation - Charges 18,000 ......(as an example). That is way too easy and logical. Therefore I believe there will be other charges that are not set forth by the state. Would that be a correct assumption or am I off base ?

Today I received letter from county tax recorder notifying me that they are tacking on penalties and late fees for property taxes and another letter telling me i have to repair the uneven sidewalk and they will do this for me to the tune of $1500.

Helllllpppp - from what I am understanding from atty/paralegal is ......oh wellll (my words). I find it hard to believe that this type of situation has not occurred at some point in time. I am the sole heir - everything had been completed with the exception of my aunts signature on waiver and taxes before her death. There is no way I can maintain all these expenses - and I am getting highly pissed because there is more than enough in my moms ckg and svgs. Furthermore now the atty and paralegal are saying once acctg is finished ......yada yada yada ......which I just put in another call and want to know how it was completed before but now it is not and there must be some exception that will allow me to pay my mom's bills and do so with the money which is mine, that is sitting in her ckg/svgs. I've been robbing peter to pay paul, i.e., one month my bills ......and then alternating so now bills of my own are past due. I supplement my retirement income with temp jobs but have to have 4 surgeries done in the next couple of months - which will prevent and hinder my own finances..........there has to be some way to take care of my moms bills because it has already been a yr in Feb and I see another 4 months easy probably 6 months before probate concludes - given the way this atty jumps on matters ......(NOT) It's not like she is a part of a large corporation and no clients in office and each time ive seen her she was either taking an early lunch or calling it an early day and the courthouse is 8 mins away - so the fact that two months have passed and she hasnt even proceeded to get a new court date really really infuriates me. And I will stop now because I can feel my b/p rising.

Appreciate your help and taking your time.

Oh, p.s. my cousins who are both very very financially well off, have decided they won't waive the 15% fee for their mom handling my moms (sisters) estate. Don't that beat all .........people will never cease to amaze me. Gee, it's a good thing as cousins we have always had a good relationship .......lol ahhh family .......gotta love 'em ....

Dandy Don

When you hired the attorney you are with now, did you sign a fee agreement contract with that person?

In view of your medical situation, it might not be advisable for you to be an executor since it is questionable whether your health would permit it. The problem may be that the attorney you hired wants to be official executor (so she can collect the executor fee) and doesn't want to be upfront/honest with you about this. And by the way, executor fee is NOT 15% (it is 4% of the first $15,000 in estate value, plus 3% of the next $85,000 in estate value), which means legally allowable executor fee will be $3,000. Of course if you signed a different fee agreement/contract that allows the attorney to bill at a different rate, then the bill is going to be more than this. She thinks she is going to get away with charging you a higher rate because she assumes that you don't know any better (boy, won't she be surprised!!).

You need to find out from your current attorney whether she is serving as official executor or not, but first check at the county courthouse to see if an official executor has already been named.

If I were you I would fire her and get another attorney--what is wrong with your going to her office in person to get answers to the questions you seek?

You should probably be talking to another probate attorney to see if there would be any complications in getting your file if you decided to fire her.

You have no business paying your mother's bills when this is the responsibility of the executor, and you need to get specific answers now as to why all of the delay and just what the current status is of estate affairs. You need to make sure that an estate tax if needed is filed for the 2004 year, but the executor can consult with a CPA or tax accountant about this. A return would be needed for the month that she was alive only if she (or technically, her estate) received some type of income during that period (dividends on stock, interest on bank accounts, etc.) for which a 1099 was received.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

NothingIsSimple

Financial Hardship responding

:confused: Don ! thank you so much for your assistance. I know I probably jumped around in stating my issue. Let me simply some of it: Mom passed away 2-2004. Her sister (Oregon resident as are her kids {my cousins}) offered to administer the estate. I pretty much was left out of this with the exception of signing some forms. Medically, I am on a small fixed monthly ret. from my state service employment. As far as I know things went along fine and all the acctg had been completed with the exception of signing/filing 2003 taxes (which much to my and im sure my mothers if she could see, there is a small refund) and then my aunt was going to sign the form waiving the administrator/executrix? fee.

That brings us up to March 2005. Unexpectedly, my aunt dies March 15, 2005 - still leaving those two above mentioned items to be signed and filed.
I notifed the atty the day after my aunts death so she could do whatever she had to in order to finish probate.

The third new replacement paralegal (in this past year) called a week and a half ago and asked me to come in and sign a form. Right now I am so overwhelmed with financial issues both my moms which in turn is creating personal financial issues, that I couldnt tell you what I signed.

- I believe it was to do with appointing me the new executor or getting a new court date
Now my aunt's grown in their 40's - children (my cousins) are saying they never heard their mom mention waiving the fee (and why would she have told them - ??? that was between sisters) and it sounds as if they arent going to sign the waiver. And come to find out since notifying the atty (called 3-16) of my aunt's death here we are 2 months later and she hasnt even requested a new court date.

I also believe I signed a paper right after my mom died waiving a surety bond. that would have been required of my aunt to act as executor. What if any impact would or does a surety bond have with my aunt's death and probate still ongoing?

All I know is the atty seems to be taking her sweet time, passes my calls off to her paralegal and I keep reexplaining to each new paralegal it seems and now my cousins atty handling their moms affairs seems to be saying he isnt sure whether my cousins will sign the waiver of executor fees (yet they both have more money than they can count) and in the interim I am receiving these bills for my moms estate, and have upcoming surgery which prevents my securing temp jobs for a couple of months and have been trying to juggle money to apply to my moms bills and my own and am sinking fast financially - no, wait - make that ......I have sunk.

This is ridiculous when there is more than enough money in my mom's svgs and checking and when I have explained to the paralegal who says she will definitely pass the info to the atty that I CANNOT PAY ALL OF THIS on my fixed monthly income all I get is ......."I understand your frustration" ........so here I am - there has to be some way to access my mother's money which I am sole heir to .....in order to pay her property taxes etc. ......

Sorry, I get so keyed up when typing I tend to go off in different directions, ...so much for clarification......I really appreciate your taking your time to respond.
And I probably just confused you more huh ?

Dandy Don

What Oregon county is this estate being probated in (I assume that is also where the death occurred)?

Are you saying that you live in a different state from where the estate is being probated?

You need to call the courthouse directly and find out exactly who the executor of this estate is.

Get some backbone and call this attorney up and tell her little paralegal or secretary or whoever that unless the attorney starts returning your phone calls that you will have no choice but to report her to the state bar for lack of communication, and then see how fast she will burn up the phone line to get in touch with you!!

You are operating at a distinct disadvantage if you live in a different state from where the estate is being probated. It is worrisome that you are not being informed about the status of this estate. If you know anyone (a friend or relative) who lives in the same city as to where this estate is being probated, you need to ask that person to attend at least one or more of the probate court hearings about this so you can find out what is going on, or at least get an attorney in the same city. You need to find out NOW exactly what is going on or you could regret it later on.

Since the aunt died, she is automatically removed from executorship and her children do not need to sign a waiver--they do not qualify to be such either.

You will not be able to quickly access funds from this estate until after probate is finished.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Last edited:

NothingIsSimple

2 more questions

Don,

I'm sorry to confuse you - my aunt was executor and she lived in Oregon. My mom (deceased) and I live in California.

The paralegal called me on Tues/Wed/Thurs last week but called on my cell phone. Because I cant continute paying my moms expenses and my own my cell was disconnected and wasn't operating all last week. When I had it reconnected I got these messages Sat morning telling me that I needed to be in their office by last Thurs or they would have to ask for a continuance from the July 18th courtdate they just were given. They only got that courtdate because I called up and said I was extremely upset.

My primary contact number is my home number why they didnt call my home is beyond me so now here we go with more delays. I left them a message which I wont go into - I was tactful though.

Here are two more questions:

1. If my aunt died before she was able to finish her duties as executor why would a fee be paid for those duties when they were not completed?

2. How can her kids (my cousins who are adults) inheirit the the job and the fees? Furthermore, whenever I get another courtdate since they didnt call my home to tell me I needed to come in and sign papers by last thurs or we have to get a new courtdate, this is to appoint me as executor - well then as for my cousins inheiriting the job as executor would they not have to be appointed v. inheiriting executorship duties their mom was performing for my mom? :mad:

Thanks

Linda

NothingIsSimple

Accessing Funds

Don,

I only wanted to access my moms checking acct to be able to pay her bills. With my aunt now deceased and who was executor and having to wait for atty to get yet another courtdate since they did not contact me via my home number - it will now be aug or sept and I don't have the money to pay my moms bills and my own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">