• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Summary Administration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LadySunshine_41

What is the name of your state?Florida
I am in the process of filing a summary administration petition in the state of florida for the purpose of having land put in my name. My mother has been dead for over 10 years and I recently found out that there are three years of county property taxes owed on the land in her name. Will I be liable to pay these taxes or are they covered under Florida Statute 735.206 which reads: (f) After 2 years from the death of the decedent, neither the decedents estate nor those to whom it may be assigned shall be liable for any claim against the decedent, unless proceedings have been taken for the enforcement of the claim.
Does this mean I will not have to pay the county property taxes owed in her name? Thanks in advance....... :)

S

seniorjudge

LadySunshine_41 said:
What is the name of your state?Florida
I am in the process of filing a summary administration petition in the state of florida for the purpose of having land put in my name. My mother has been dead for over 10 years and I recently found out that there are three years of county property taxes owed on the land in her name. Will I be liable to pay these taxes or are they covered under Florida Statute 735.206 which reads: (f) After 2 years from the death of the decedent, neither the decedents estate nor those to whom it may be assigned shall be liable for any claim against the decedent, unless proceedings have been taken for the enforcement of the claim.
Does this mean I will not have to pay the county property taxes owed in her name? Thanks in advance....... :)
The statute you are quoting is about claims against the estate or against a decedent.

Taxes are against the land, not against an estate or a decedent.

LadySunshine_41

Thanks again. Do you think this statute is why my attorney has not asked for reciepts of funeral payment or medical payments? It has been over 10 years since Mom passed so I was just wondering........Take care...... :)

S

seniorjudge

LadySunshine_41 said:
Thanks again. Do you think this statute is why my attorney has not asked for reciepts of funeral payment or medical payments? It has been over 10 years since Mom passed so I was just wondering........Take care...... :)
I don't know why your attorney (or any other attorney for that matter) does anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">