• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

frustrated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fuzzhead

What is the name of your state?Maine My father died on Oct. 16 2004. He was living in Florida at the time of his death. My sisters and I went to Florida to take care of everything. He had a will made up in Florida, and being the 1st time any of us have had to deal with anything likes this before, we thought the smartest thing to do would be to hire the same lawyer. At the time we hired her she said the will was very simple, and unless someone contessed the will it should only take 3 to 6 mo. before we could have our inheritance. Well 6 months have gone by and the lawyer still hasn't sent my other sister in L.A. a copy of the will. What is a reasonal amount of time, after all. all the creditors have been paid our 90 days are up on that, so as far as I know the only hold up is the lawyer getting the copy of the will to my sister. Do you think we should fire her and hire another lawyer? My father purposely made it simple so us girls wouldn't have to wait for a long dragged out process. Can someone please give me some advice. Frustrated

Dandy Don

You don't need to wait for her to send the copy of the will. Why didn't you get a copy of the will when you went to hire her in Florida?

Contact the county courthouse probate court to find out whether the will has been filed or not. If it has been, you can get a copy from the courthouse. If you don't know how to contact the county courthouse probate court, then mention the city that he lived in and I can look it up for you and get the phone number and address.

What type of fee agreement did you sign to hire this attorney? How do you know that the creditors have been paid? It would be hasty and foolish to fire her in the middle of the probate process--wait until you find out more facts until you make a decision about that.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">