• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

funeral/burial expenses - small estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aak67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My ex-husband passed away suddenly a little over a month ago in Indiana. He neglected to change his will naming me as Personal Representative. Besides his car (which was owned jointly by both he and I and he never changed the title) I am estimating his assets to be worth less than $1000.00. (a small checking account and some inexpensive personal property. He was heavily in debt with credit cards and late on his rent. He also filed for bankruptcy a year ago but all indications are that all unsecured debts have not been discharged and he owes tens of thousands of dollars. The small bit of life insurance he had will be payable to our two minor children and held in trust until they reach age 18. Here is my problem. His siblings made the arrangements with the funeral home to cremate his body without discussing any of it with the children then left it up to us to decide what to do with the ashes. The kids thought it would be good to place his ashes inside their father's parents' crypt so I had to arrange all of that at the last minute and I had to sign the contract as well with the cemetary. Here is the problem. There is not enough money in the estate to pay any of these bills. Am I going to be stuck paying these out of my own pocket? His siblings told the funeral home that I am to pay the bill. The bills total almost $5,000! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dandy Don

You signed a contract AGREEING to pay the obligation (did you know how much you were going to be charged before you signed?), so you are responsible for the obligation (can you take on a second job and could you politely suggest that the other siblings help chip in?). Since you knew his estate didn't amount to very much you should have thought twice before agreeing to sign the contract as to whether you really wanted to do that or not. And why did you never discuss with your husband the feasibility of getting life insurance and/or burial insurance? He could have gotten that at a very reasonable rate from his place of employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">