• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Funeral expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mizelle00

California

our father's estate is less than $100,000.00 and he has no spouse, real estate, business interests or joint property of any kind. I have been named administrator of the estate and am in the Inventory and Appraisal phase. My brother-in-law paid for the funeral, and we have already repaid him with cash assets because it was on a high-interest credit card. Does he need to file a claim against the estate?

Dandy Don

Why would he want to do that? There is no reason to. Did you also provide a receipt when you made the cash payment that specified what the payment was for?

mizelle00

Yes, of course, I have records for everything. On what form, then, will I be providing that information to the court?

tecate

Look at Probate Code Section 9154 for your authority to pay him without a formal claim. You will be providing payment of creditors information in your petition for final distribution, which is not a form.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">