• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting a will notarized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boostm3

What is the name of your state? New York

Heres a question regarding a will I just filled out using Family Lawyer from Broderbund...

This is in NY State, and in addition to the will is a Witness Affadavit, plus instructions on signing.

What it says is that:

"The will should be signed by (me) in the presence of three disinterested adult witnesses and a notary public...."

Is it really neccessary in NY state to have my witnesses, and myself, ALL sign in front of a Notary?

Or, can I have my witnesses witness my signature, and each others' signature, and then at a later time I can have the document notarized?

Or, lastly, is it sufficient for me to have it properly witnessed, and not notarized at all?

thanks.

paul

Last edited:

seniorjudge

boostm3 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

Heres a question regarding a will I just filled out using Family Lawyer from Broderbund...

This is in NY State, and in addition to the will is a Witness Affadavit, plus instructions on signing.

What it says is that:

"The will should be signed by (me) in the presence of three disinterested adult witnesses and a notary public...."

Is it really neccessary in NY state to have my witnesses, and myself, ALL sign in front of a Notary?

Or, can I have my witnesses witness my signature, and each others' signature, and then at a later time I can have the document notarized?

Or, lastly, is it sufficient for me to have it properly witnessed, and not notarized at all?

thanks.

paul

If you are using dangerous do-it-yourself forms, then follow the instructions and hope for the best.

ladybg1

notary

Having just gone thru probate in Fla--my dad's will was witnessed, but not notarized & I had to have the witnesses go before the probate clerk & sign an affadavit that they did indeed witness this & that form was notarized at the clerk's office. This had to be done before the will could be probated. Thank goodness the witnesses were still in the same city & both alive(not always the case). A lot of my work this past 2yrs would have been unnecessary if my dad had done the will with an attorney & made sure things were in proper order. My next step is to be sure I follow my own advice & get organized this year, even though I'm not going there anytime soon(I hope)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">