• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfather died no will found

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lueyh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My girlfriends Grand father died this past Saturday and we can't find a will. We have searched the entire house and nothing can be found so I printed up the probate forms is there a way to get one of there names on the deed? we still live there and were taking care of her grandfather for the past year and a half. what steps should we take?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My girlfriends Grand father died this past Saturday and we can't find a will. We have searched the entire house and nothing can be found so I printed up the probate forms is there a way to get one of there names on the deed? we still live there and were taking care of her grandfather for the past year and a half. what steps should we take?
Google California intestate probate

FlyingRon

Presumably the house and everything else is worth more than $150,000. In this case you have no option, will or otherwise, than to open probate.

If there is no will, the house will pass based on the laws of intestate succession. Who was caring for the deceased is immaterial. If she is an heir, the house (or a share of it) may be titled to her based on the law. Not enough information here to tell who the heirs are. You've obviously dug through the probate site, so she has what she needs to start probate. An attorney would probably be advisable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">