• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother's will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I realize I had this posted in the wrong section...

My grandmother passed away at the end of January 06. My sister had been overseeing her care for the last few months of her life (moved her into an Assisted Living facility near her), and was named the executor of her will (prior to Gram's declining health).

I was told that in Illinois, a will had to be filed within 30 days of death. To date, it hasn't been filed.

My sister & I are not on speaking terms (haven't been for a while - she feels I abandoned 'the family' when I got married) and I am afraid she will delay wherever she can.

Gram had a sister & brother (both in their 80's), but I don't recall her ever saying they were in her will (I lived with her for about 10 years before I got married), but she did say my sister, me, a cousin and my dad & uncle were. My dad passed away in July 05, so his part should have gone to my sister & I (gram's way of thinking).

My sister doesn't need the money & neither does anyone else who might be in her will, though I could really use it to put a new roof on my home (I can wait for it, though).

What are my options? I don't know her attorney's name, and no one in the family will tell me (I haven't asked, I just know they won't) and I don't want to seem like I am only concerned about the $$.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">