• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents died left house no will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grandkid

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin. Theres a mess and everyone is asking me to try and fix it now. My Grandparents passed away about 10 years ago. They had a house and asset valued at about $35k. Assets were divided and my uncle lives in the house. He has not paid the property tax for the past 3 years and they are now DQ and the city is going to take to property for 15k outstanding. No one has the money nor the ability to purchase the property but me. I don't want to pay 15k for a house that I cant sell and get my money back. I said I would try to sell the house but after researching who needs to accept the offer to purchae I see the deed is still in my grandparents names. How can I get a new deed in either my name or my mothers name so we can sell. The house is completely paid for and valued at about 70k in as is condition 110k with repairs.

Thanks in advance for you help

P.S Uncle is going to be useless in any process we may need to go through and only h

JETX

How can I get a new deed in either my name or my mothers name so we can sell. The house is completely paid for and valued at about 70k in as is condition 110k with repairs.
You need to get a local probate attorney to pursue this for you. With multiple decedents (who died first?) and multiple heirs, this is not a 'simple' process.

grandkid

Thanks for your reply. My grandfather died first and grandmother a few years later. Is there anyway to slow the city down, short of paying the DQ balance, until I can get this sorted out? Are we talking years to get a judge to sign the deed over.

thanks

justalayman

Thanks for your reply. My grandfather died first and grandmother a few years later. Is there anyway to slow the city down, short of paying the DQ balance, until I can get this sorted out? Are we talking years to get a judge to sign the deed over.

thanks
you need to not jumpt to the:

get a judge to sign the deed over
there is no reason to believe you will end up with the title. Ownership would be controlled by the laws of intestate succession and everything endds up getting divided as those laws direct.

without looking up Wisconsins intestate succession laws, a reasonable guess would be that any of your g-parents possessions would have been split equally amongst their children. That would mean that your uncle would gain as much interest as your mother in the home. Any other siblings would recieve the same.

from what you posted, you may be best served by letting it go. You stated you would be selling the house anyway. Why bother? What would you gain from buying and then selling the house?

grandkid

without looking up Wisconsins intestate succession laws, a reasonable guess would be that any of your g-parents possessions would have been split equally amongst their children. That would mean that your uncle would gain as much interest as your mother in the home. Any other siblings would recieve the same.
My mom and uncle are the only two children, My mom has no clue what to do and my uncle is on drugs. He has no children, my mom has two of which I am the oldest.

from what you posted, you may be best served by letting it go. You stated you would be selling the house anyway. Why bother? What would you gain from buying and then selling the house?
I was thinking it would be better to pay 15k and sell for 80k if the house could legally be sold. There is no mortgage on the property

justalayman

My mom and uncle are the only two children, My mom has no clue what to do and my uncle is on drugs. He has no children, my mom has two of which I am the oldest.

I was thinking it would be better to pay 15k and sell for 80k if the house could legally be sold. There is no mortgage on the property

Uncle would be entitled to 1/2 of the house through most states intestate succession laws and mom would get 1/2. That is $40k each minus debts against the estate (which you would be setting yourself up to be) so drop that down to $32.5 max.

Don't forget you are going to need an attorney to get all of this straightened around as well. That comes right off the top.

as far as the tax man waiting? doubtful although some legal action against the estate could delay things. If it were actually in probate, it may forestall the repo. I would call your county tax office to inquire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">