• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fluffyone

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I will try to keep this as simple as possible.
My Grandparents had 4 children total. 2 boys and 2 girls. My sister and I are the children of one of those girls. Unfortunately my mother passed away many years ago, and my Aunt (the other female of the 4 children) was awarded as my sister and I's legal guardian. Unfortunatly my Aunt, i.e. legal guardian, also died about eight years ago, having no kids of her own.

My Grandmother passed away shortly after my Aunt described above. A couple of weeks ago my Grandfather died.

I found the Lawyer who will be handleing my Grandfathers probate, and when I asked if I could get a copy of the will, he told me that copies of the will were mailed out to the members of the family, and that my sister and I were not mentioned.

My question is: How should my Grandparents estate be divided? I understand that the will should dictate who gets what, but shouldn't a portion that would have gone to my real Mother be passed onto my sister and I? Where do I stand and what are my rights?

Thanks in advance for anybodies advice.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: My question is: How should my Grandparents estate be divided?

A: According to the will.

Q: I understand that the will should dictate who gets what, but shouldn't a portion that would have gone to my real Mother be passed onto my sister and I?

A: Your ma was dead when grandpa died; if grandpa did not leave you anything, then you get nothing.

Q: Where do I stand and what are my rights?

A: I don't know where you stand but apparently you have no rights (based on the facts in your post). Go to the courthouse where the will is being probated to get a copy of the entire file.

fluffyone

Thanks for replying.

In your experience how common is it for people to only Will their estate to their living kids, and exclude the family of their deceased kids? How would this estate be distributed under an intestate scenario?

Does anybody else have any comments, or does everybody feel the same way as Senior Judge?

I have so many questions, but until I see a copy of the will I won't waist anybody elses time.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">