• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship of Child upon death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgrant2

What is the name of your state? California

My husband and I have not set up a will or living trust therefore we have not specified a guardian for our daughter. However, we are leaving on a trip tomorrow and want to fill out or create a form leaving guardianship to who we have chosen. In the future we will contact an attorney and do it the legal way but for our situation now what is the best and legal route?

BlondiePB

sgrant2 said:
What is the name of your state? California

My husband and I have not set up a will or living trust therefore we have not specified a guardian for our daughter. However, we are leaving on a trip tomorrow and want to fill out or create a form leaving guardianship to who we have chosen. In the future we will contact an attorney and do it the legal way but for our situation now what is the best and legal route?
Regardless of what you have formally or informally in writing, it will be up to the court to have the "final" say about your nomination for guardian for your daughter. After you return and see an attorney regarding your estate papers, also have a "stand by guardian" document drafted with whoever you have decided to nominate for your daughter's guardian. This document is in addition to the other estate documents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">