• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handwritten Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmg123

What is the name of your state? Texas

My mother in law died and left a handwritten will leaving her house and furnishings to my wife. My wife has a brother but he does not intend to contest the will. How do we transfer the house into my wife's name so we can sell it to pay funeral expenses.

Thanks very much.

BlondiePB

cmg123 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

My mother in law died and left a handwritten will leaving her house and furnishings to my wife. My wife has a brother but he does not intend to contest the will. How do we transfer the house into my wife's name so we can sell it to pay funeral expenses.

Thanks very much.
Your wife needs to go to the probate division of the courthouse in the county where your MIL resided, open a probate case, and file to be executor of the estate. She will receive letters of testamentary that will provide her the authorization to do what needs to be done. The total value of the estate will determine whether or not an attorney is required. Check into probating a small estate and/or family administration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">