• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hawaii Probate Question??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chutta

I am in Hawaii. My neighbor owns a fairly run down home next door. Its been vacant for a few years. He gave the home to his son a few years back and unfortunately the son suddenly passed away last year. I don't think the father really wants the home, and I would like to purchase it, but the father doesn't really want to go to through the process for a number of emotional reasons. If he were willing to sell and what would the process be of getting the home changed back to the father's name or sold outright without changing the name?

Is this a probate question?

Any info would help. I'm sure I haven't been clear in my question so ask me anything to clarify. Thank you.

HomeGuru

chutta said:
I am in Hawaii. My neighbor owns a fairly run down home next door. Its been vacant for a few years. He gave the home to his son a few years back and unfortunately the son suddenly passed away last year. I don't think the father really wants the home, and I would like to purchase it, but the father doesn't really want to go to through the process for a number of emotional reasons. If he were willing to sell and what would the process be of getting the home changed back to the father's name or sold outright without changing the name?

Is this a probate question?

Any info would help. I'm sure I haven't been clear in my question so ask me anything to clarify. Thank you.
**A: if the son was of legal age and held title via tenancy in severalty, you are going to have to obtain probate court approval to buy the property.

Dandy Don

Check at the probate court to see if there is an official executor for the son's estate and then make an offer to the executor. And also check county land records to see whose name is on the records as owner. What is the home worth? You may also want to offer to pick up the costs for probate in order to get this matter expedited.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

chutta

The son did hold title as far as I can tell through the tax records. I will check with probate court if there is an executor, but if not what would I have to do to get the subject property into probate court. Would I have to strike a deal first with the father so that I get his ok?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">