• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oregonmoonrise

What is the name of your state? Ca

We have a probate attorney working on my mothers probate. The only thing she had was a peice of property that was in escrow at the time of her death. This property has all sorts of issues with the title & we are in the process of figuring out who is the legal owner. That were the problem comes in. The attorney contacted me all the time & returned all my calls & such in the begining now I never get my calls or emails returned. We were suposed to go to court back in the begining of Dec. but turns out the 850 petition was never finished I had emailed them & called several times before the court date to find out what was going on but of course never got an answer. Then I received an email saying that it had not been completed but I should have it to sign in couple of days. I ended up having to go out of town (I live in a differnt state) but would be in the same town as the attorney so I called them letting them know I could just come in to the office to sign so I didnt have to overnight it back to them. They wanted to get it filed before the Christmas Holiday & serve the other party before the new year. Well here it is Jan. 17th & a couple of calls & emails later & have still yet to hear from him what is going on. Im not sure what to do. Just seems that nothing is getting done. Im not sure if he just thinks he cant win the 850 petition or what. He only gets paid if he gets this property straightend out since it is the only asset. If he keeps it up much longer Im going to want to find another attorney. Can we do that? What does he get paid then?
Thanks in advance.

Dandy Don

Send him a certified letter asking for the current status of your case and give him 3 days to respond by sending you overnite mail. If you get no response, fire him by certified mail and get another attorney. He obviously doesn't think there is enough financial gain in this for him to be bothered. He at least deserves to give you an explanation.

oregonmoonrise

Thanks for the reply. What would he owe him? I know in the state of Ca. they only get a certain percentage (I think ist 4% for the first 100,000 & then 3% for each additional or right around there) but would he get that if we fired him due to not doing anything to get it finished up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">