• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shaunalambeth

My grandma died in 2006 while I was in Iraq. When I called home my uncle (who was in charge) said your GM left you something. He didn't show to the funeral and I haven't seen him since. How do I find out what my GM left me?

Dandy Don

Too bad he wasn't more specific. The "something" could have meant a piece of jewelry or some other item of sentimental value.

If you know the city where your grandmother died and her approximate date of death, figure out what the name of the county is for that city and then look at that county's online court records to see if she has a probate file.
If so, you can look at the probate file at the courthouse to get a copy of the will or see if you are mentioned in it.

In the meantime, you can look at online telephone directories (or hire a private investigator if you choose to do so) to search for uncle.

justalayman

Not all states or all counties in all states have their court business available on the Internet. You might have to pick up a phone and call them. If you find the file in such a place you will either have to make a personal visit or see if they will send you a copy of the file. There will be some costs of course.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">