• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Estate Fraud.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Familythreads

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please bare with me this is rather complicated.

My Grandfather passed away in March of 2011. My father and uncle are the only 2 children. My uncle was removed from the will in 2009 and all of the documents are in order. My grandmother remained in the nursing home (alzheimers) until she passed in January of 2012. 8 days after my grandfather passed my uncle somehow was able to go to the bank and have my grandfathers name removed from the account and his name put on it. He had nothing, no paperwork, he had nothing to do with them for many many years. There are 2 executors of the estate which are cousins.

Long story short, my uncle sold my grandfathers farm and everything in it, spent 86,000 dollars that was in the bank account and we are not talking bills, Target, Home Depot Walmart and many Paypal transactions. Several checks written to him and just to much to list. He tried to take the car but the DMV would not let him sign the title over. The executor whom I have a good relationship with has been given copies of the account statements also has a copy of the will.

My question is did he have any legal right to touch any of this?? How did he put himself on the bank account? My grandmother didn't know who she was or anyone around her, she couldn't speak or write. This whole thing is just a huge mess. He has gotten away with every penny because he was angry that he was not given anything. My father was going to split everything with him when this was all over with because he trusted him but now what??? Any ideas on what type of lawyer I should contact or any help would be appreciated because this is just so crazy that we do not know where to even begin.

I apologize for the length of this post there is so much more but hopefully you understand what I am saying.
Thank you :)

justalayman

These appear to be questions you should be askkng the executor. They are the entity that should have been keeping the fox out of the henhouse and if they were negligent in their obligations, may have exposed themselves to being personally liable for losses the estate experienced.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please bare with me this is rather complicated.

My Grandfather passed away in March of 2011. My father and uncle are the only 2 children. My uncle was removed from the will in 2009 and all of the documents are in order. My grandmother remained in the nursing home (alzheimers) until she passed in January of 2012. 8 days after my grandfather passed my uncle somehow was able to go to the bank and have my grandfathers name removed from the account and his name put on it. He had nothing, no paperwork, he had nothing to do with them for many many years. There are 2 executors of the estate which are cousins.

Long story short, my uncle sold my grandfathers farm and everything in it, spent 86,000 dollars that was in the bank account and we are not talking bills, Target, Home Depot Walmart and many Paypal transactions. Several checks written to him and just to much to list. He tried to take the car but the DMV would not let him sign the title over. The executor whom I have a good relationship with has been given copies of the account statements also has a copy of the will.

My question is did he have any legal right to touch any of this?? How did he put himself on the bank account? My grandmother didn't know who she was or anyone around her, she couldn't speak or write. This whole thing is just a huge mess. He has gotten away with every penny because he was angry that he was not given anything. My father was going to split everything with him when this was all over with because he trusted him but now what??? Any ideas on what type of lawyer I should contact or any help would be appreciated because this is just so crazy that we do not know where to even begin.

I apologize for the length of this post there is so much more but hopefully you understand what I am saying.
Thank you :)
Apologies? Forget about apologizing!

What I would like to hear from you is a plausible explanation as to why your concern over uncle's supposed treachery has suddenly surfaced three and a half years after the horses have left the barn!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">