• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with what to do, father just passed away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused_help

What is the name of your state? CT

My Father just passed away. He did not have a Will, and not very much in Life Insurance.
He left 3 of us, My mom, and my brother. There is considerable credit card debt was left. And almost no money is left in the bank and/or in any retirment funds. My mom is 10 years away from being able to collect on social security. The House is almost paid off and it was in both of my parents name. We have 3 cars that are titled in my fathers name. 2 of the cars still have loans against them. We were not sure of what steps we should start with. I would assume we will have to go though the Probate process, We were thinking about taking out a Home Equity loan to cover the Credit card debt, and then deal with 1 payment for it that we will have to make sure we can handle. We dont want to lose the house. Could someone give us some advice on what the next thing we should do is.

Thanks,

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? CT

My Father just passed away. He did not have a Will, and not very much in Life Insurance.
He left 3 of us, My mom, and my brother. There is considerable credit card debt was left. And almost no money is left in the bank and/or in any retirment funds. My mom is 10 years away from being able to collect on social security. The House is almost paid off and it was in both of my parents name. We have 3 cars that are titled in my fathers name. 2 of the cars still have loans against them. We were not sure of what steps we should start with. I would assume we will have to go though the Probate process, We were thinking about taking out a Home Equity loan to cover the Credit card debt, and then deal with 1 payment for it that we will have to make sure we can handle. We dont want to lose the house. Could someone give us some advice on what the next thing we should do is.

Thanks,
Does the deed of mom's & dad's home have JTROS (Joint Tenants Rights of Survivorship)?

Are these joint credit card accounts? If not, did mom sign any papers making herself the guarantor?

All states provide a will for person's who die, it's Intestate and available on-line for each state.

confused_help

I just looked at the Title to the house, it has Rights of Survivorship for my mom and thier heirs. The credit cards are joint, except for a AMEX Corporate card thats only in my Dads name. Just 3 of the cars are only in my Dads name. Thanks for your help.

BlondiePB

I just looked at the Title to the house, it has Rights of Survivorship for my mom and thier heirs. The credit cards are joint, except for a AMEX Corporate card thats only in my Dads name. Just 3 of the cars are only in my Dads name. Thanks for your help.
JTROS = No probate for the house. Have the deed changed to mom's name.

Joint Credit Cards = Mom is liable for those debts. If debts are enormous, have mom check into bankruptcy.

Dad's corporate credit card...unless there's something to probate, tell them to bite rocks.

Voluntary repossession for dad's cars that have still have loans.

Check into probate exemptions for dad's car that does not have any money owed on it.

GOINGCRAZY

Sister In Law Wont Leave

My wife her brother and step sister has inherited property in the state of maryland in the form of a deed of tust all three are also executers of the estate. The problem is the step sister is living in the home and was givin a year to find a place to live so the property could be sold as per the wishes of thier mother. A year has come and passed and now she has moved her boyfriend in and they are both curently living in the home free or charge so i guess what i would like to know is can she legaly be forced out or made to pay rent and if so what type of attorney should be used?

Just Blue

My wife her brother and step sister has inherited property in the state of maryland in the form of a deed of tust all three are also executers of the estate. The problem is the step sister is living in the home and was givin a year to find a place to live so the property could be sold as per the wishes of thier mother. A year has come and passed and now she has moved her boyfriend in and they are both curently living in the home free or charge so i guess what i would like to know is can she legaly be forced out or made to pay rent and if so what type of attorney should be used?
Start your own thread!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should not hijack someone else's thread.

moburkes

You already asked this question on your own thread. Don't muddy up someone else's thread, where they're trying to get their legal questions answered. Its rude.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">