• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

high % of probate is executor fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4crawdad

What is the name of your state? Virginia
we heard that probate costs could run from 5% to 7% of the total estate AND that most of the cost comes from the executor's fees. is this true?

so, if the executor is a family member who won't take money except for necessary expenditures (gas, time off work, etc.), what percentage then could probate costs run?

is there a webpage that shows the breakdown of probate court costs?

4crawdad

didn't mean for it to "sound" like anything :)
my pop said someone told him probate on his estate as of this date, could possibly run $50,000. someone told us kids that most of that could be executor's fees. none of us kids would take an "executor fees" when the time came to probate pop's estate (shudder) , so we'd like to go back to pop with a possible probate cost minus the executor fees. i guess we're not sure what an executor might normally charge??? we're actually honored that dad is considering doing a will (generations of his family in Louisiana apparently did not do wills), and i understand his concern about having a good chunk of his hard earned assets going elsewhere. we have mentioned him looking at a living trust, too. but, for now, if there's a certain percentage an executor normally takes and it turns out that probate costs would be minimal, it might ease his concerns. thanks

Dandy Don

Whoever told him that may not have known what they were talking about, and anyway a lot depends on the value of the estate. He can get a more honest answer by talking to a probate attorney or estate planner.

4crawdad

thanks Dandy Don.
i did find the following website:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/agecon/448-067/448-067.html
which states, "Court costs include filing fees and miscellaneous clerk's fees. These fees vary, but are usually about $20. The probate tax in Virginia is 10 cents per $100 of value of the probate estate, or 1/10 of 1%. The locality may add another 3 1/3 cents per $100 of value as a local tax. "

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">