• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can my father's estate be held up for 3 years by my step mother?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gary Walston

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My question is my Step Mothers attorney has requested me to provide my social security number to them for the estate losses it has alledgely had over the past 3 years. I have had no involvement with his estate except with my attorney's and the $30,000 I am out so far with no resolution? We are to attend a court required mediation next month. Any advice?

Dandy Don

(PLEASE DELETE YOUR DUPLICATE POST ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD.)

Did your father leave a last will and testament and is it being probated in probate court or is probate over?

Were you named as a beneficiary in his will and did you ever receive anything or have you received nothing at all since his estate may have been eaten up by debt?

You have no obligation to give your Social Security Number to ANYONE and the reason they are asking is not justifiable or believable. You can not be asked to assume anyone's debt and you are not liable for anyone else's debt.

Ask your attorney to accompany you to the mediation meeting just to get more details about what is going on here and after you consult with your attorney you will know how to handle this matter.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

anteater

You have no obligation to give your Social Security Number to ANYONE and the reason they are asking is not justifiable or believable. You can not be asked to assume anyone's debt and you are not liable for anyone else's debt.
There is a perfectly legitimate reason why the estate attorney may be asking for the OP's SSN. But, until (or if) the OP returns, I'll leave you to think about what that reason might be.

(HINT: "Loss" does not equal "Debt.")

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Another incomplete hint that does not help the poster. Were you implying that this has something to do with capital gains or loss tax in relation to a property? If so, then please explain why the son has any obligation for that.

anteater

Another incomplete hint that does not help the poster. Were you implying that this has something to do with capital gains or loss tax in relation to a property?
Ah, the light bulb finally switched on.

If so, then please explain why the son has any obligation for that.
Oops, the light bulb just went out again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">