• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can we see the will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeff in IL

State of Michigan.
My father recently died with a will and was a resident of MI. The trouble is that there is "an evil stepmother" involved, put everything of Dad's that she didn't want in the garage and gave us 4 hrs to come and get it.

He had promised us things like family furniture, photos, memoribilia, but "she" won't let anyone in the house, nor will she share a copy of the will. The items that we want do not have a great monetary value but we would like to see exactly what was spelled out in the will, for closure if nothing else.

Is there a way to force her to turn over a copy of the will without going through a huge probate process? I'm in IL, my brother is in CA and my sister is in MI.

Thank you for your help.

anteater

Jeff in IL said:
State of Michigan.
Is there a way to force her to turn over a copy of the will without going through a huge probate process? I'm in IL, my brother is in CA and my sister is in MI.

I can't think of any short of breaking & entering or threatening violence.

Why not have Michigan sister go down to the county courthouse and check out the procedure and forms to open an intestate estate? When stepmother gets wind of that, she will probably produce the will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">