• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to change executors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ed062147

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My father is in the hospital but conscious and lucid. He wants to change executors on his estate before he goes into surgery, but wants a quick change, not a completely new will. It is the only change to his will that he wishes to make. What's the easiest way, knowing that it must be done in his hospital room? A codicil? If it is indeed a codicil, which are often form letters, since he's only changing executors, not beneficiaries or guardianship or anything else, does he just leave the other sections blank and only fill in the executorship information?

Dandy Don

He should be discussing this with the attorney who helped him draft the original will or another local probate attorney. A codicil could be done but if not done correctly it may open up the estate to being contested by the former executor or by the beneficiaries. Is the executor he wants to name a relative or a non-relative?

Ed062147

Former executor

The current executor is his brother, and he wants to make me the executor (his daughter). The reading I've done about codicils make me nervous because of the possibility of accidentally nullifying previous wills entirely...he spoke with one of his attorneys who said grabbing the form letter from a Staples would definitely be fine with something as simple as changing executors, but I'm not sure which form is appropriate and he's out of the office...Is there just a 'change of executorship' form?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">