• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do I determine if my dad had a will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

My father died suddenly Wednesday night. I hadn't spoken to him (or most of the rest of my family) for several years.

Prior to his remarrying, he had several life insurance policies (he worked construction) with my sister and I as beneficiaries. When he remarried, he placed his new wife on at least one, but I was pretty sure he left my sister and I on one of the others.

How will I know? Also, if he died without a will, what happens to his estate? If he took me out of any will he may have had (or didn't put me in), can I contest it? I am most concerned about my children, as they suffered from my disagreements with their grandfather.

thank you.

lwpat

can I contest it?
You can contest anything, the only question is it worth the legal fees.

His current wife will probably start probate and that is public record.

Is he even in the ground yet?

"is he even in the ground yet?"

not sure why that is an important question to ask. I want to make sure that things are taken care of correctly and efficiently, regardless of who benefits. His wife has no family so she will most likely be turning to my sister and I for guidance. I thought it would be nice to know what our options are, how to begin (if there is even anything to begin) and where to turn for help if we need it.

I appreciate your reponse, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">