• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I find out if I was left in a will??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riosclass

What is the name of your state? ca

My uncle passed away. I am not sure if he had a will or who his lawyer was. How do I find out? My cousins say they have a will that names them as the executors, but that they cannot find the original lawyer. However, they will not let me see it and have been acting very suspicious. I have no idea what to do. Is there any search I can do to see? Will I be contacted once his lawyer finds out he has passed away. If he has made a will will it somehow "activate". Thank you. I am new to all of this and am just now thinking that there may be some foul play going on.

seniorjudge

Go to the courthouse in the county where dearly departed was a resident and check under that person's name at the probate court. If there is a file, ask for a copy of the whole thing. It's a public record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">