• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Do I Know...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frank678

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

My grandmother recently passed away. For years prior to her death she had Alzheimer's and my aunt had POA. 10 years ago when she was healthy and grandpa was still alive (he passed in 1999 and left all to grandma) they told me that they had set aside something nice for me.

4 years ago the aunt asked me to sign "papers" to release my portion of the inheritence. When I started to ask questions she got very defensive and the event was dropped.

It is my suspicion that my aunt has taken advantage of POA to move all money into her control.

She recently purchased a $750k house that I know she did not have the money for.

I do not know if there is a will, I think there is but I highly doubt its been filed with the Surrogate Court.

What can I do to find out what she may have done and how long should I wait to ask her about the will?

Who contacts me during the probate process?

Dandy Don

So did you sign the papers or not? I hope you didn't.

Normally the will is filed within 30 days of the death, so check at the county courthouse probate court to see if it has been filed. If I were you I wouldn't ask this aunt about the will since she will get ticked off if anybody asks her anything about this estate, since she probably feels guilty for stealing with the POA.

Lets hope there is a will that names you as partial beneficiary, but don't be surprised if auntie has destroyed it thereby leaving the estate open up to intestate procedures, IF there is anything of value left in the estate that she hasn't gotten her hands on already.

Start talking to a probate attorney or a business law attorney to find out if your state has laws against abuse of power of attorney. If grandma had Alzheimer's or sympoms of it (look at her medical records to see if this is true) at the time she signed POA, then it was obtained illegally and auntie will have to make restitution. This situation looks like it will end very unhappily for you, since you know what greed can do to people!

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Frank678

I did not sign any papers. She wouldn't even tell me what they were when I asked - she just went crazy.

I guess I'll wait the 30 days for the will to be filed...

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">