• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I transfer title of decease mothers car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darkout

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My Mom's only asset is her car, valued at approx 14k. It's in her name but she recently passed away. My brother and I are listed as personal representatives in the will.

How do I transfer title to either myself, my brother, or directly to the future buyer of the car? DMV says to bring in documentation showing I have authority to transfer but wouldn't say what document. Would a will work? Or do I need something else.

TIA.

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My Mom's only asset is her car, valued at approx 14k. It's in her name but she recently passed away. My brother and I are listed as personal representatives in the will.

How do I transfer title to either myself, my brother, or directly to the future buyer of the car? DMV says to bring in documentation showing I have authority to transfer but wouldn't say what document. Would a will work? Or do I need something else.

TIA.
You need to file probate and the car (and all other possessions) will pass to you AND your brother or as dictated in the will. THEN the court will issue what the DMV needs.

darkout

Probate?

Go to probate for a car. And there are no other assets.

That doesn't sound like very good advice.

seniorjudge

Q: How do I transfer title to either myself, my brother, or directly to the future buyer of the car?

A: Ask the probate court if there is a summary proceeding or a small estates proceeding; those are pretty easy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">