• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find old lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkindoo

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
I just found out that my fathers ( deceased) siblings filed a lawsuit some 12 years ago on an oil company. This was filed after his mother died intestate. His part was supposed to go to me. They are being very tight-lipped about it. They seem to think that only the living siblings were entitled to the money gained from this lawsuit. I can't figure out how an oil company didn't do their homework, but I never knew anything about it.
My question is I need to find the legal paperwork at the court house. How do I go about this?
RW

seniorjudge

Q: My question is I need to find the legal paperwork at the court house. How do I go about this?

A: Go to the courthouse. Do not ask the person who looks like he knows something. That is the janitor. Ask the court clerk if there is a lawsuit involving these people. Then make a photocopy of everything and take it home and put it in your scrap book. If you had any rights, they died long ago.

Dandy Don

If you know the name of the oil company involved and the approximate time period that the lawsuit was filed (what years), that is enough for the court clerk to go on to look at the records--many counties have their records computerized, but most do manual searches.

Last edited by a moderator:

JETX

If you know the name of the oil company involved and the approximate time period that the lawsuit was filed (what years), that is enough for the court clerk to go on to look at the records--many counties have their records computerized, but most do manual searches.
"I just found out that my fathers ( deceased) siblings filed a lawsuit'[/quote]
Wanna' bet the OP knows the names of his aunts and uncles??

This was filed after his mother died intestate."
And/or the name of his grandmother (in the probate records).

Dandy Don

What is the point of your posting about the OP knowing the name of his aunts and uncles?--your ranting and raving has no relevance, but I guess you have to have the last word. And you are showing YOUR stupidity--just because the decedent died intestate doesn't automatically omit the possibility that some type of probate court action may have taken place later on, and it doesn't even have to be a probate matter--many civil action can be looked up on county court records.

JETX

What is the point of your posting about the OP knowing the name of his aunts and uncles?
Because your post said that the OP had to "know the name of the oil company involved and the approximate time period". Of course, that is NOT true... the OP could also find the same information by knowing who the plaintiffs (aunts and/or uncles) are... and asking the court. Probably, you don't that there are TWO parties to a lawsuit. :D

--your ranting and raving has no relevance
Yes it does... it shows that you have NO legal experience or knowledge. You do nothing but find 'unclaimed property' then try to scam the owner to pay you a percentage of the 'finding'. No legal ability needed there.... as is evidenced by your posts on this forum.

And you are showing YOUR stupidity--just because the decedent died intestate doesn't automatically omit the possibility that some type of probate court action may have taken place later on, and it doesn't even have to be a probate matter--many civil action can be looked up on county court records.
HUH??? I never said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">