• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Find out what is in a Will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dodger1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My step daughter's grandmother died about 3 months ago and we are pretty sure that the grandmother made provisions for my step daughter. Her aunt is the executor of the grandmothers estate. My step daughter is 18 and the aunt will not tell her what the grandmother left her. How do we go about getting the info from the will? Her mother won't give her any info either. What can be done to find out what the grandmother left for her? We are pretty sure that it involves a mobile home that they had been living in but we don't know how to go about getting the info.

anteater

Try calling the Superior Court of the county in which grandmother resided and inquire whether a petition to commence probate has been submitted. If it has, the will should be on file and you can request a copy.

If such a petition has been filed, there should have been a hearing 15 - 30 days after the petition was filed. If your daughter was named as a beneficiary in the will, she should have received notice of that hearing. (I'm not certain if she would be considered an "heir" under California law if her mother is still living. If she is, she should have received that notice anyway.)

8110. At least 15 days before the hearing of a petition for
administration of a decedent's estate, the petitioner shall serve
notice of the hearing by mail or personal delivery on all of the
following persons:
(a) Each heir of the decedent, so far as known to or reasonably
ascertainable by the petitioner.
(b) Each devisee, executor, and alternative executor named in any
will being offered for probate, regardless of whether the devise or
appointment is purportedly revoked in a subsequent instrument.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">