• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long is too long when it comes to settling an Oklahoma probate case initiated in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

David Chilcoat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
In 1993 the lawyer told us to sell our parents car....we did that years ago...The lawyer told us to sell the house.....completed years ago. All bills were paid. Leftover proceeds are $4,000.00 have been in a non-interest bearing account for 15 years now. My sister and I are co-executors....Calls do no good to this guy. He says he will look into things and we never hear back so we wait and wait and wait and then call again....same story over and over. Thank you.
RE: Accont As stated above the account is in a non-interest bearing account in in a bank. Estate of (our parents name )is the name of the account This account was opened when we finished paying their bills.
Thank you.

Last edited:

David Chilcoat

How long is too long when it comes to settling an Oklahoma probate case

The funds are in the bank and the owners are The estate of "our parents" My sister and I are both on the account as co-executors.
Thank you.
David Chilcoat

anteater

...have been in a non-interest bearing account for 15 years now.
You and your sister certainly have been patient. Are you certain that the account is still there and not been turned over to the state unclaimed funds?

The estate of "our parents" My sister and I are both on the account as co-executors.
Visit the bank, withdraw the funds, and close the account. After 15 years, I hardly think that anybody will care.

David Chilcoat

How long is too long when it comes to settling an Oklahoma probate case

Hello and thank you. The funds are there and the bank sends a statement every month reflecting the balance. In the past they have not charged us for this account, but they have started taking out monthly maintenance and if our attorney won't move on this X 15 years (Mother passed in 1993 and Father the next year)....you are saying it could go to unclaimed funds? Thank you for your advice.
David

anteater

I can't speak to Oklahoma specifics, but, generally, financial institutions are required to turn over funds to the state after a period of inactivity in the account - that period is several years. But, usually, they send notice to the account holder before doing so.

You said:
My sister and I are co-executors
That means that you should have letters testamentary issued by the court that acknowledge that you have legal authority to conduct business on behalf of the estate. Take those letters, visit the bank, and close the account. Stop waiting for some attorney to do something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">