• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long until.....?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billybob65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? me -CA, the will- WI

curious to know how long is it in general from the date that the personal representative's statement closing the estate and the case disposed are log at the court, until the "monies, etc" are sent to the ones deemed in the will? is there any common hold ups that would delay this?

we are deemed in a will that closed and disposed in january of this year, 2009. (grandmother died in january of 2007). while we recieved some payment last year, the final amount has yet to be distributed. this and other strange things have us questioning the motives of the the personal representative.

we have made numerous calls this year to the attorneys to see how things are proceeding and are constantly told "probably 2 to 3 more months."

thanks for your help.
billy

Dandy Don

You need to be asking the REASON that the money is being withheld. Sometimes excess funds are held for tax purposes or because a beneficiary can not be located. Do you know exactly how much you are to receive because that amount is specified in the will? Has any type of official accounting information been provided?

billybob65

to the best of my knowledge, the taxes have been paid. we are to recieve a percentage. no official accounting had been given. does the "disposed" term indicate that it is complete and the money should be sent?

thanks much

latigo

Something could be rotten in Denmark, billybob! Very rotten.

Interpreted, “2 or 3 more months” could mean another 2 or 3 months of car payments on the attorney’s new Beemer. (It’s difficult to charge that $300 plus per hour when the estate is buttoned up and put to bed.)

So, better that you hire yourself an attorney and have it looked into. Seriously! Because you re not going to know what to look for or what to do with what you find. Probate law and processes are arcane subject matter.

You try to bring this to a head yourself you’ll be a fish out of water, get more of the same bum’s rush with more legal and PR fees charged to the estate and be asking the same questions 6 months hence.

Maybe there is a snag somewhere, but red flags pop up when the heirs are not kept abreast, nor given plausible explanations for the delay in final distribution. The PR wouldn’t, or at least shouldn’t, have made a partial distribution if the estate weren’t comfortably solvent.

Believe me. Pillaging and plundering is not at all uncommon!

Incidentally, did you learn much from DD’s “I’m no attorney, but . . .” brand of sophistry? Like you didn’t have sense enough to have already asked the PR’s attorney, “WHAT’S THE HELL IS THE HOLD UP?!” Jeez!
_________

I can’t tell you what your word “disposed” means,except that it’s past tense for the ubiquitous verb “dispose”. But your asking seems to reinforces your need of professional help.

Country Living

The OP would have most likely stated the reason for the delay had he known it. Sometimes the most simple things are overlooked; therefore, it was reasonable of "DD" to ask the question. It would be reasonable for the OP to get the answer and post back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">