• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to make a claim on an estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssoneil

What is the name of your state? FL

My father passed away recently and put me in his will. In his will he wrote:

" I bestow the sum of $2000 should she contact my executor and make a claim on my estate"

According to his attorney they said I need to make a claim on his estate. How do I go about this. Do I have to hire an attorney? He had quite a bit of bills, so the attorney said their may not be anything left. My uncle is the executor and I hate to bother him with this or seem greedy.

Dandy Don

Now is not the time to be weak in asking for what is rightfully yours, or you may never get it. It is not a "bother" for you to ask for your money.

Give the executor a few weeks to see what the value of the estate is and then after you find out if there is anything, then get an attorney to help you file your claim. You are probably in good shape because I'm sure the executor is not working for free and he is going to be sure to get his fee, so let's hope that there aren't too many more debts.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">