• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to obtain 'Letter of Heirship'?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woodlander

This question is for the state of Delaware.

My mother died a few months ago. Her estate was below the cut-off for required probate in Delaware.

My problem is that she left one of her annuities to her 'living children'. My problem is that the company that sold her the annuity refuses to pay out the proceeds without a 'Certified Letter of Heirship'. This, I think, is normally issued as a part of probate. My question is: How can I obtain such a letter?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

moburkes

woodlander said:
This question is for the state of Delaware.

My mother died a few months ago. Her estate was below the cut-off for required probate in Delaware.

My problem is that she left one of her annuities to her 'living children'. My problem is that the company that sold her the annuity refuses to pay out the proceeds without a 'Certified Letter of Heirship'. This, I think, is normally issued as a part of probate. My question is: How can I obtain such a letter?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
I tried googling "certified letter of heirship", but it appears that the correct terminology is "affidavit of heirship". I was able to pull up some froms that way. I hope this helps. Sorry about your mom.

woodlander

Thank you. Possibly I need to restate my question slightly.

It is the 'Certified' part that I am most concerned about. I think I can obtain the form, but is there some standard procedure for getting the court to certify the affidavit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">