• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to relinquish rights to Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dadeesgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

The "WiggyFiggy Estate" will be my made up family name...just so you know. I can no longer afford this gift my dad gave me....I can not sale or give away what does not belong to me...please read and help me.

2 years ago my daddy died leaving a will that we and his his wife's (my stepmother) children would inherit what ever they left behind. In other words it was to be divided 4 ways. His wife died and all her children died before my Dad died....But the will was written before her death of course. That left 3 children and 2 step grandchildren to inherit. The Steps inherited there Mothers forth.

He told me, my brothers, and all his workers that he wanted me to have the car he had bought his wife who had died 2 years before he died. He knew he had cancer and was going to die. He said he wanted me to have the car but it was NOT in the will....What I want is to relinquish rights to Property. Since it is not my property to began with...what do I need to do?

All his properties went through secession in the state of Louisiana. I brought the car home with me and have had it all this time...The lawyer knows that and the state of La knows that...But the car really belongs to the "WiggyFiggy Estate" I reside in another state....Not Louisiana. All my brothers signed off on the papers the lawyer sent out except the 2 step grandchildren...whom the lawyer sent a letter stating I would be happy to pay them their forth but they will not comply.

I would like for it to be MY car YES I would....but as it is it belongs to my deceased Father's estate. The state of Louisiana will fine me XX amount of dollars per day if I don't have insurance on the car. I am at a loss as what to do!

Please help me!!!...someone that knows Louisiana law! The lawyer is done with me and wont return my calls...he knows all I am saying I have had this conversation with him already. Shrugged his shoulders...Except the relinquishing part.

Thanks dadeesgirl

Last edited:

Kiawah

So you went thru probate and it's all finished, you were awarded the car, but you didn't take the paperwork down to DMV to get the title switched to your name?

dadeesgirl

That is not how it really went...it is not that simple to just go to the DMV....It went through succession yes....the attorney mailed everyone a paper to sign over the car to me...my brother did so but the 2 grands did not. He sent the paper 3 times with the last one stating that I would pay them their 4th...never got a reply from either they both live in different states. :( They got their part of the money though...so I don't understand why!!!

So until they relinquish their rights to the car it still belongs to the WiggleyFiggley estate. Everything else was took care of. We are paying the insurance and all. I wish I could get a tittle but I can't cause it belongs into the WiggleyFiggley estate. So I would just like to relinquish rights to the car.

Thanks for your reply!!

dadeesgirl

OK Judge I will! but he isn't responding back. Lets hope it cause of the holidays...I may have to get another lawyer...sigh! :(

Dandy Don

Why would you think they would relinquish rights to something that they partly own? They won't relinquish anything until they are compensated.

This is a matter you need to be discussing with the executor of the estate. Since you were not named beneficiary of the car in the will, the executor gets to decide whether it is sold or not and proceeds distributed amongst all of the beneficiaries.

What is the blue book value of the car? If you want to keep it you should be offering to pay the heirs their share of it (called "buying them out") AND then taking steps to get title legally changed to your name (or perhaps this is something the executor should be taking care of).

dadeesgirl

B/C that is what my daddy said and not to only me to everyone around even his workers...but it not being on paper I do not have proof.

Also they said themselves they knew that and would sigh off but that was before the succession...and did you not read where we sent them a letter stating that I would pay them their forth? I wan not trying to rip them off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">