• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to settle an Estate and deal with Creditors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rich1234

What is the name of your state? NJ

My father past a way in January and my mother is trying to settle the estate. The problem is she does not know what to do. My father only had hand written will leaving eveything to my mother. The only assests to the estate are approx $8K in an investment account, old truck ($500.) and car which had a loan that was not paid off. As for debits he had the car loan of about $4000, a credit card of $10,000 and several medical bills for about $4000. They did own a home together that was sold prior to his death and some of the proceeds have gone to purchase another home and the remiaing amount was spent or given away as gifts.

Since the credit card was in his name only what is my mother responsiblity to pay? Same for the medical bills? What determines what gets paid out of the money left? Currently she is using the remaining money to live on, so nothing will be left soon. What can the credit card company do to my mother? Are they entilted to any of the assests?

Is some type of probate required if thier was no filed will?
If so how can probate be avoided to save money?

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">