• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband recently passed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MoMFly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My husband recently passed away, there is no will, no property other than 2 vehicles, and very little debt. I need to know what legal papers I need to file with courts, and what steps I need to take to insure that I handle the estate properly and efficiently take care of any outstanding debt.

xylene

I'm sorry for your loss.

Perhaps these links will help:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/10440.htm

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-selfhelpcenters.htm

I wish you all the best in this time and always.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My husband recently passed away, there is no will, no property other than 2 vehicles, and very little debt. I need to know what legal papers I need to file with courts, and what steps I need to take to insure that I handle the estate properly and efficiently take care of any outstanding debt.
I am sorry for your loss.

You may not have to file anything with the courts. Did you own the vehicles jointly? Are there any separate bank accounts in only his name? Unless there are any separate assets or anything that wouldn't pass to you outside of the estate, probate will not be necessary.

MoMFly

The vehicles are in his name alone and paid off, the checking account is in his name alone. We had tried to put me on the checking account but because of some previous banking issues that did not happen, we had worked with the bank to rectify the situation and would have been put on his account in a year, unfortunately we only made it 5 1/2 months. I am the only remaining relative besides his sister. Between retirement accounts and insurance the estate is over the mark for filing an affidavit for transfer of personal property. So I am still somewhat at a loss as to which step is next

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">