• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am the Executor of my stepmothers will,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txlazer

What is the name of your state? Texas

but the estate was probated in NY

I am the Executor of my stepmothers will, my father passed away first. my question is am I legally obligated to dispense the moneys left as my stepmother wrote in her will, IE my fathers estate was just over 1.5 million when he passed when I stepmother passed it was just over 1 million. she left her sisters and brother 10 thousand dollars each. ( about 80k total) they live in Ireland while I'm in TEXAS it. this was money that my dad worked for and saved his entire life, my stepmother NEVER WORKED a day in the past 40 + years. I don't feel as if they are entitled to my dad's money. when my dad passed he left money to us all,
50% to my stepmother and the other 50% to his 3 kids, ( my brother, sister and myself)
do I HAVE to send these people I don't know my (dad's) stepmothers money?

seniorjudge

Q: do I HAVE to send these people I don't know my (dad's) stepmothers money?

A: It is not your dad's money; he gave it to your stepmother. You must follow the will to the letter or face the wrath of the court.

txlazer

They are both gone

Thank you both for your replies,

Yes my stepmother passed away while visiting her Family in Ireland in Nov 05, she was hit by a car.
she was living with me before the trip to Ireland but must have felt her time was short on this earth, she wanted badly to go "HOME" as she put it.
The bulk of the estate was left to my sister and myself ! what can/will the courts do IF I don't send my stepmothers family the money? Assuming they complain to the surrogate court in NY

BelizeBreeze

Thank you both for your replies,

Yes my stepmother passed away while visiting her Family in Ireland in Nov 05, she was hit by a car.
she was living with me before the trip to Ireland but must have felt her time was short on this earth, she wanted badly to go "HOME" as she put it.
The bulk of the estate was left to my sister and myself ! what can/will the courts do IF I don't send my stepmothers family the money? Assuming they complain to the surrogate court in NY
Well, want to spend some time in prison? I hear grand theft can land you a few years.

txlazer

Darn, That's not what i wanted at all!

Well, want to spend some time in prison? I hear grand theft can land you a few years.
Darn, That's not what I wanted to hear at all, It's just that my father worked hard and saved his entire life, and NEVER got to enjoy it.
I don't want to do anything ILLEGAL, I just want the money to stay in OUR family,
Just to make a point clear, in 2002 when I father passed away, he left the estate to 4 people only, his wife ( my stepmother) and us 3 kids! NOT to his DRUNKERED in laws that he never met.

How is it GRAND THEFT? i'm not taking anything away from them, i'm just not going to give it them in the first place (in theory)

I don't mean to sound like a spoiled rotten kid here, i just want the money to stay here with my brother and sister. i will heed your advise through:(

BelizeBreeze

Listen, you said your father died first. Did his estate ever get probated?

answer that then I might waste more time with you.

txlazer

Listen, you said your father died first. Did his estate ever get probated?

answer that then I might waste more time with you.
Yes it was probated, i thought this was a FREE ADVICE FORUM !
if your sitting on some beach sipping a screaming orgasm, please dont bother yourself with this thread anymore. maybe your screen name should be "BITCHY IN BELIZE"
Gregg

moburkes

Alright, smarty pants. Do you think that your father was STUPID when his will was written? Do you think that when he wrote it, that he didn't realize that his WIFE's share (should she die AFTER him) would go to her children?

Why do you think that you and your family should reap the benefits of your father's hard work? Oh, I'm sorry, because you don't drink, right?

BB: I think that you shouldn't respond!:D

BelizeBreeze

Yes it was probated,
Which means the monies have already been distributed as per his will and he no longer retains ownership. The current issue is that of your mother's will and THAT MONEY belongs to her to do with as she wishes.

if you do not have the legal expertise nor the stomach to carry out her LEGAL rights under the will, then ask the court to dismiss you as executor. Otherwise, disperse HER monies according to the will and be done with it, or face civil (and perhaps criminal) charges for your actions.

txlazer

it's her siblings

My step mother was unable to have children, she left some money to her brothers and sisters, not children and it has NOTHING to do with drinking. it's that they are NOT my family my dad never meet are even spoke with them durning their 40 yr marrage.

You all have been very helpfull with this matter and I THANK YOU ALL I know what i must do, and they will get thier money.

does the fact that she wasn't a citizen of the USA have any bearings at all ?
Or I'm i just grasping at straws now?

BelizeBreeze

My step mother was unable to have children, she left some money to her brothers and sisters, not children and it has NOTHING to do with drinking. it's that they are NOT my family my dad never meet are even spoke with them durning their 40 yr marrage.

You all have been very helpfull with this matter and I THANK YOU ALL I know what i must do, and they will get thier money.

does the fact that she wasn't a citizen of the USA have any bearings at all ?
Or I'm i just grasping at straws now?
DAMNIT quit. You are sounding more and more like an assinine fool. You have been told repeatedly what you are required to do LEGALLY. It wouldn't matter if they were all serial killers on death row. They are entitled to the bequest and it is your legal obligation to make sure they get it. PERIOD!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">