• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i don't understand!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts,

i posted the other day regardings my fathers death/estate. Because I am the one handling the estate, soon to be appointed administrator, while changing the name on my parents mortgage, i was going through his papers. i found an SBLI life insurance policy, i asked my mother about it and she told me he got it when he was young, and that he had been paying on it since then, ( i have paid receipts thru 2002). when i called to ask (with my mother right there next to me) they told me that in fact it was still active and that it had already been claimed.. that the beneficiary had already called and there was a form sent out which needed a signature and documentation. The problem is that 1. they won't tell us who the beneficiary is or any other information on the policy, and 2. my dads' "mistress" has impersonated my mother/grandmother and me on numerous occasions(my parents are still married) 3.my family is out to get me. so to say that this all makes me rather nervous is the least. is there any way that we can find out who the true beneficiary is, if the forms were sent to the right person, etc, (i would actually be more concerned that his girlfriend takes the money away from my grandmother who i believe is 1 of the 2 possible people as a beneficiary)? i don't wanna see someone in my family get screwed out of a life insurance policy because his "mistress" is such a cold hearted person.

S

seniorjudge

From what it sounds like, pa bought a life insurance policy and named his girlfriend as the beneficiary.

This is legal.

Not moral, but legal.

well at first i thought that but it wasnt' him that bought the policy, it was his mother, he took it over when he was 18, so the likelihood that he named her vs. his mother as beneficiary is small, i'm just afraid that she's claiming to be my grandmother to get the money, which will leave my poor 84 year old grandmother with nothing, personally i just want to make sure that the money he had for this is going to the right person, and since my grandmother can't fight and i can i might as well, so i and my lawyer need to know about the policy.....and they're not being that nice to begin with.......?

Dandy Don

When you get your letters testamentary authorizing you as administrator, send the insurance company a copy of that and a letter requesting information on who the beneficiary, which is your right as administrator. If they won't respond, file a complaint with the Massachusetts State Insurance Commissioner (you can find his website or address/phone in the phone book) and they will investigate it and report back to you.

I think your suspicions could prove to be correct, unless grandma got the money and doesn't want you to know about it.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

S

seniorjudge

Dandy Don said:
When you get your letters testamentary authorizing you as administrator, send the insurance company a copy of that and a letter requesting information on who the beneficiary, which is your right as administrator. If they won't respond, file a complaint with the Massachusetts State Insurance Commissioner (you can find his website or address/phone in the phone book) and they will investigate it and report back to you.

I think your suspicions could prove to be correct, unless grandma got the money and doesn't want you to know about it.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])
Why would the administrator of an estate have any authority to request information from a life insurance company on a policy that is not going through probate?

Dandy Don

Because it is a matter relating to the decedent's financial assets, which the administrator has a right to know about. And since fraud might be involved, the insurance company may need to investigate further.

S

seniorjudge

Dandy Don said:
Because it is a matter relating to the decedent's financial assets, which the administrator has a right to know about. And since fraud might be involved, the insurance company may need to investigate further.
Since when did life insurance proceeds paid to a beneficiary become a decedent's asset?!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">