• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikkinmiss

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Mississippi
I need advice on what to do or if I am able to do anything at all. my father was shot and killed in december of 2003 His wife is going on trail for his murder.
there is a life insurance policy (quite large) and his wife is the benificary, I was contacted by the insurance company shortly after his wife was arrested and told that me, my sister and my Brother were being named as next of kin as we were his only children and that if my Dads wife was convicted of the murder then me, my sister and my brother were to be heirs of the estate. I had heard nothing else on this matter until January of this year, then I was contacted again by the insurance company and asked to file a statement for me, my sister and my brother as his only living heirs. I did this via fax and us mail. A few days ago I was told that my Dads wife was working on having her son from a previous marriage either named as one of my Dads Heirs and or trying to have this Son of hers Named as exector of my Fathers Estate.(may have possibly already had it done) I dont have a Lawyer and Never have but is there anything I can do about this? I dont want this woman getting her hands on that insurance money since she is on trial for his murder. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about this at all. Help please
Nikki

lwpat

Your first step is to go down to the Probate Court and start proceeding to have one of you named as executor of his estate. The insurance money will pass outside of the estate and it will depend on the outcome of the trial. Start by getting in touch with the legal department of the insurance company and let them explain what will happen. You may want to consider preparation of a civil suit against her in case she is acquitted.

My suggestion is that all three of you take the paperwork to an attorney. Ask around for recommendations and you can also check the find an attorney link on this site.

nikkinmiss

Thank you

thanks so much for the reply, I will start doing just what you suggested today.
This whole thing has been a nightmare.
I may run into one problem, I dont know where my Brother is. Normally when he doesn't have a job he lives with me but He stopped calling me and I lost all contact with him after notifying him of our fathers death.I have tryed everthing I can think of to find him. My sister resides with me because she is mentally ill and disabled.
again Thank you for replying, I feel better now knowing at least there is some type of action I can take.
Nikki

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">