• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Im executor, is this ok?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mydebbers

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My mom died in South Carolina August 200, but her will was made in Virginia. My brother was made trustee, but we are now CO-appointed. I am in charge of all the financial issues, as far as paying debts etc. My brother and I are the only beneficiaries to her bank account, and she has a big amount in there, more then enough to cover all her debts, as most things were paid off.

My question is, I gave my brother a certain amount of his share of the money, from the bank, and I was fine with it, and he knows I have been using some for bills, etc. Im just wondering if this is ok, as long as we claim it or are we really supposed to "wait".

seniorjudge

My mom died in South Carolina August 200, but her will was made in Virginia. My brother was made trustee, but we are now CO-appointed. I am in charge of all the financial issues, as far as paying debts etc. My brother and I are the only beneficiaries to her bank account, and she has a big amount in there, more then enough to cover all her debts, as most things were paid off.

My question is, I gave my brother a certain amount of his share of the money, from the bank, and I was fine with it, and he knows I have been using some for bills, etc. Im just wondering if this is ok, as long as we claim it or are we really supposed to "wait".

As long as you followed the court order you got in advance allowing and authorizing this payment, everything should be fine.

It's nice that you and your brother are co-trustees, but who exactly is the executor of the will? And for that matter, what are you trustees of?

mydebbers

Question of co trustee

Well my brother was originally the trustee, but now we are co-appointed. Its to make sure all her bills are paid, and property ( her items in boyfriends house) are given to my brother and I. All her items go to us, and the house is his ( long story). Basically we agree, that anything that was hers, can go to us, as they were not married, and she owned the house 4 days up till she died, and he had her sign the house back over to him.

There is money in the bank account, used to pay bills, the estate account... we will both get 50% of the total left, but we have already used some of our portions. If its just us splitting the money, there shouldnt be a problem, as long as all bills are paid., and money is there in case another creditor comes forward ... thats what I was responding too. We are in charge of her estate, bottom line.

mydebbers

As long as you followed the court order you got in advance allowing and authorizing this payment, everything should be fine.
No we did not get permission to take the money out, but we are both aware of the other one using their share. I am on the bank account only, since the bank said they only recognize one person as the administrator for the bank account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">