• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm the heir to my deceased fathers motorcycle.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jerrylee3

Texas. My dad passed while he was living in my grandmother's garage. I'm the heir to his motorcycle which I've already transferred the title in my name. She has it locked in the garage and want let me in. How to go about taking what's lawfully mine? What can I do?

xylene

Call the police (the local number) or better still go to the police station and delicately explain the sitation and ask for guidance. Bring your proof of ownership and the will.

jerrylee3

Call the police (the local number) or better still go to the police station and delicately explain the sitation and ask for guidance. Bring your proof of ownership and the will.
He didn't have a will. He was divorced from my mother so me and my brother and sister have the rights. They signed there's over to me. Went to local tax office with notarized paperwork and transferred it into my name.

Silverplum

Texas. My dad passed while he was living in my grandmother's garage. I'm the heir to his motorcycle which I've already transferred the title in my name. She has it locked in the garage and want let me in. How to go about taking what's lawfully mine? What can I do?
Why won't Grandma let you take Dad's motorcycle?
Does she have a claim to it?

jerrylee3

Why won't Grandma let you take Dad's motorcycle?
Does she have a claim to it?
No claim or any legal rights. She's old and thinks everything on her property belongs to her. She sold or gave away everything he owned. I have nothing from my father but that motorcycle. It meant so much to him so it means alot to me also. She's always been about herself and never done anything for my father or anyone unless some how it benefits her. She never been a very nice person at all.

justalayman

I won't agree you legally own it at the moment since it appears his estate has not been examined to determined whether it would require the sale of the motorcycle to pay estate debts or that grandma may have some unknown claim to it but...

A certificate of title is rebuttable proof of ownership so;

Either ask the police to assist in retrieving what appears to be your property or as another states file suit seeking a writ of replevin.

latigo

I won't agree you legally own it at the moment since it appears his estate has not been examined to determined whether it would require the sale of the motorcycle to pay estate debts or that grandma may have some unknown claim to it . . . .
I am also disinclined to agree. Dad's estate may or not be solvent, but seldom does a person die without having some outstanding current, financial obligations.

In that respect it would be interesting to know on what basis the siblings in tendering Form VTR-262 (Affidavit of Heirship for Motor Vehicle) verified under penalty of perjury that there was no necessity for an administration of their father's estate!

Because, short of someone forging dad's signature to the Certificate of Title, Form VTR-262 is the only means whereby title could be transferred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">