• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indian Trust Land Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Diannab

What is the name of your state? California

My father passed away in 2003, I have just recently been informed as my parents were divorced when I was 2 years, and I have had no contact.

I was contacted by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, my father was a member of the Pawnee Indian Nation, and was informed of his death and that he had an assets/interest in Indian Trust Land and that it was in probate. And that I was listed as one of his heirs.

I have now received a letter that there was an initial hearing and that it was determined that the value of assets is aprox 800.00 and enclosed is an inventory of land of 129 & 40 acres - I do not understand how to read the inventory/percentages to understand the "fair market" value, I do not understand if they (the Dept of the Interior) are buying me out?? Do I lose all interest? According to waht I have been able to find out on the Internet is that due to a recent act the Dept of the Interior can do this??
Also my father apparently had a IIM account - which I have also read according to the internet that IIM accounts are in part of an ongoing lawsuit Corbell v Norton.
I do not know waht my rights are or who to go to to answer my questions
Thank you
Dianna

Dandy Don

My sympathies on the loss of your father.

You can contact attorneys at www.indiantrust.com to get more information about your rights from the Corbell vs. Norton lawsuit since they are representing the Indians (including your father) who have been allegedly cheated and who will stand to benefit from the lawsuit. It may take a long time for this suit to be settled, so make sure you have YOUR will drawn up so your heirs can get this money if you are not alive then.

Main thing you can do, if you know the city/state where your father died is to contact the county courthouse probate court and see if a probate estate was officially filed for your father. IF there was, the name and address of the executor will be in the file and you can contact the executor (in fact, the name of the executor should have been listed on the information you received from the BIA).

You may also want to contact the Pawnee Tribe at www.pawneenation.org if you need additional advice. You can not count on the information you receive from the BIA to reflect your best interests, since they apparently are involved with the lawsuit.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">