• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indiana - Executor of Estate and bank account question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steve46236

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Indiana

I am looking for answers in regards to an executor of an estate withdrawing money from the deceased account for personal use (groceries and gas).

Background:
I was an executor of my grand father's estate a few years ago and made sure everything was paid and handled as necessary. I am curious if I did wrong when I withdrew funds a few times for necessity items like gas and groceries? I always deposited the exact amount I withdrew when I got paid. But I was living paycheck to paycheck but always made sure I put it back in there. When I turned the paperwork into the attorney the amount that was in there was the exact amount it was suppose to be.

However, about a week ago I received a letter from the attorney asking about these transactions and after researching it tonight I am wondering if I am going to be in trouble for it. I didn't intend ill will and my grand father always helped me out and vice versa. Which is why he named me as the executor in his will.

Can someone shed some light on this issue for me and let me know what I am up against? I have never been in trouble before and this is worrying me now.

Thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Indiana

I am looking for answers in regards to an executor of an estate withdrawing money from the deceased account for personal use (groceries and gas).

Background:
I was an executor of my grand father's estate a few years ago and made sure everything was paid and handled as necessary. I am curious if I did wrong when I withdrew funds a few times for necessity items like gas and groceries? I always deposited the exact amount I withdrew when I got paid. But I was living paycheck to paycheck but always made sure I put it back in there. When I turned the paperwork into the attorney the amount that was in there was the exact amount it was suppose to be.

However, about a week ago I received a letter from the attorney asking about these transactions and after researching it tonight I am wondering if I am going to be in trouble for it. I didn't intend ill will and my grand father always helped me out and vice versa. Which is why he named me as the executor in his will.

Can someone shed some light on this issue for me and let me know what I am up against? I have never been in trouble before and this is worrying me now.

Thank you
You broke the law. You stole from the estate. Whether you returned the money or not does not change the fact that you acted illegally. Your grandfather was not giving you loans. You used your position as executor to benefit yourself. You could find yourself in trouble.

LdiJ

Indiana

Background:

Thank you
Who are the beneficiaries of the estate? Who does the lawyer represent? Did you truly pay back every penny you borrowed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">