• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indicating the value of a house for Probate petition and Inheritance Tax.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

valvano

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
"I live in PA. The home involved in the will that I will be probating is probably worth about 130K. The current assessed value is 55K. Two questions: What value should in indicate on the petition for probate, and what amount should I go with on the PA Inheritance Tax form. Should these 2 figures be the same? Should I go with a low value at probate and a higher value on the inheritance tax form rev 1500? What is the normal protocol for this. Thanks"

Last edited:

anteater

Will the property be sold during administration of the estate? Or distributed in kind?

For the petition, use your best estimate of market value.

valvano

Post a reply to the thread: Indicating the value of a house for Probate petition and

Hi, thanks for answering. We will be putting the house up for sale.

justalayman

curious question because I am too lazy to hunt it up

what does the assessed value represent in PA? I know in some states, it is actually meaningless in regards to actual market value.

anteater

Hi, thanks for answering. We will be putting the house up for sale.
If the house is sold by the probate estate in a arms-length transaction within a reasonable time frame, the sales price is the best estimate of the fair market value at the date of death and can be used for the Inheritance Tax return.

valvano

I had a local realtor do a comparative market analysis on the property and he said 118K on the high end and 90K on the low end, so I guess I'll go with 100K on the petition for probate and 100K on the 3 month PA Inheritance tax return. Sound reasonable? Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">