• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Information needed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CLEOFET

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Louisiana. My 82-year-old mother sold her home in Phila and is moving in with my husband and I here in Terrytown, LA. She has made me executor of her will. I have a younger sister and an older brother. She (my mom) is not in good health and I am trying to be realistic and get as much information as possible together in case (when) she dies. What other things should I ask her about? I know she has a will, I don't know if she has any life insurance. I don't know if she has put it down in righting what she wants to do about life support if it is needed. What is that document called? She doesn't have much money other then what she will make from the house she has just sold so what will happen since all she has is some money in the bank? I have never dealt with anything like this at all and I really hate to even think about my mom dieing but I know I have to at least get an idea of what will happen. Thanks for any insight you all can give me.

BlondiePB

CLEOFET said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Louisiana. My 82-year-old mother sold her home in Phila and is moving in with my husband and I here in Terrytown, LA. She has made me executor of her will. I have a younger sister and an older brother. She (my mom) is not in good health and I am trying to be realistic and get as much information as possible together in case (when) she dies. What other things should I ask her about? I know she has a will, I don't know if she has any life insurance. I don't know if she has put it down in righting what she wants to do about life support if it is needed. What is that document called? She doesn't have much money other then what she will make from the house she has just sold so what will happen since all she has is some money in the bank? I have never dealt with anything like this at all and I really hate to even think about my mom dieing but I know I have to at least get an idea of what will happen. Thanks for any insight you all can give me.
Mom's will and other crucial papers need to be kept in a safety deposit box at the bank. The court only accepts an original will or a certified copy of a will.

Knowing the beneficiary/beneficiaries of life insurance is important should she have a policy. Life insurance by-passes probate and goes directly to the beneficiary. Say, for instance, that mom has a policy and the beneficiary is your brother. Although mom intended the policy to be for her funeral, your brother would not have to use the money that way. Cross that bridge after mom arrives and learning whether or not she has a policy.

Mom needs Advanced Heath Care Directives with Power of Attorney for Health Care. Go to Suze Orman's website.There's a good one there for free.

Mom also needs Financial Durable Power of Attorney so that you can manage any of her financial affairs. Social Security does not recognize a POA, though.

Ask mom about what her wishes are for her final arrangements: burial, cremation, church mass, hymns, favorite passages from the bible or other religion book. You can get information about this from funeral homes. Do consider making and paying for mom's final arrangements with mom's money.

When it comes time for you to handle mom's money, keep track of everything, including receipts. You should be able to stand in front of a judge in court and explain every penny of how you spent mom's money for the care, etc. of mom.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">